Tuesday, July 24, 2007

salsa and chips

I love Jesus,
I love my family,
I love salsa and chips!!!

Recently, someone asked me; "What are your favorite things?" The first 3 things were easy, after that it was kind of hard to come up with things! Why is it when someone asks a question like that we can't come up with an answer? I have a lot of favorite things, but those were the first 3??

Craig Jutila said; "It's the little things that make a little difference that make a big difference." The fact that someone took the time to ask me "what do you like?" is a little thing that made a big difference. It shows they care, and as the saying goes, "People don't care what you know, until they know you care." Children are the same way! If you take the time to show children you care about them, they will want to know what you care about, and if you are serving in children's ministry I would think you care about children knowing Jesus as their Savior! Let me tell you about Madelyn.

Madelyn did not want to leave her mom when she was 3 years old. She was nervous, there was a room full of kids and she is an only child. Each week I would greet her by name at the door and ask her a question or two. "What's your favorite cereal?, What's your favorite flavor of ice cream?, Do you like Dora?" etc. I asked because I wanted her to know I cared about her! She told me she loved oreo cereal, chocolate ice cream and no Dora. The next Sunday I see her beautiful little face and I ask; "Did you have oreo cereal for breakfast this morning?" Her eyes lit up, she ran and gave me a hug. Yes, you read that right a hug! She waved at mom and has been my friend ever since. She is now almost 11 years old. She told me a couple of weeks ago she doesn't eat oreo cereal anymore, but chocolate ice cream is still number one!

It was a little question that made a big difference in a child's life. She knows I care and because of our relationship she was willing to explore a relationship with this Jesus she was learning about. She was baptized this past January, she knows HIM. What a privilege it is to serve His little ones!

No comments:

Post a Comment