Wednesday, December 26, 2007

boneless chicken ranch

Okay, so here's what happened today.....
I was checking out children's ministry blogs and I stumbled upon "www.thewayweseeitblog.com." As I read through the leadership category I came across one written by Jim Wideman, it's exactly what I have been trying to verbalize for 5 months now! Here's an excerpt from Mr. Wideman's post....

".............Yes today’s The Far Side Comic was Boneless Chicken Ranch. Every time I look at it it reminds me the importance of structure. Without the right structure in place we can’t move our ministries where they need to go. Yes, they have all the chicken parts, and they look like real chickens but they are stuck right where they are. The only hope for a boneless chicken is a bone structure. The only hope for a ministry to grow and go where God wants it to go is to change your old or nonexistent structure and replace it with a growth structure."

I have been wrestling with a coworker regarding the children's ministry at our church. When I took this position I knew there was attention needed, especially in the details! The ministry had all the parts, vision, mission, values, but it was stuck! The (quote, unquote) details were not on anyones radar. My coworker and several parents kept telling me to get new furniture, update the decor, get new games, ministry attire for the volunteers, etc. That sounds great and all, but isn't that just like dressing up a pig?

I decided it would be more beneficial to start with the basics, or backbone! Application to work with children, background checks on all volunteers, secure children's area, volunteer orientation, team gathering to reiterate the vision, mission and values, volunteer name tags, deep cleaning the carpets, floors and classrooms, taking down all the dated and dusty decor. (The cleaning alone created a huge buzz, seriously, no joke!) Because of these small changes, several people decided to not only leave the ministry, but leave the church. I'm not kidding. I started to feel like the plague, but I now know that they were focused on what they were doing, not what God could and would do!

The crazy thing is that after 5 months of small, mostly behind the scenes changes, there is excitement in the children's area, people are calling me to sign up to serve. Yes, you read that right! Volunteers are inviting their friends to serve. Word of mouth is the best PR you can get! I just ordered t-shirts for all the volunteers, something my coworker suggested. If I would have done that 5 months ago they would have ended up in the closet or garage sale, not now, the volunteers are proud to say they serve God by serving His children! I am a very driven person and looking at what has happened in the past 6 months usually isn't my deal, I am focused on what still needs to be done, but after reading about the "boneless chicken ranch" I started praising God for allowing me to see Him at work. He has really done an amazing work, probably because He is an amazing God!

2 comments:

  1. Stacy, Remember where your heart and soul is... I am sorry to hear that you're having such struggles. Youre deeply missed at Westgate. Everyone seems to have difficulties with change.... Just remember to keep your focus where your heart is.... God will continue to do amazing things thru you.... Youre right about making those changes the backbone is the most important... Share the vision you have and remember never lose sight of that vision. As for ppl leaving the church dont feel too bad.. evidently their heart isnt in the right place. Stacey youre amazing and I will always have a special place in my heart for ya.. if it wasnt for you and Rita Brand praying for their neighbors I would still be out there lost.... and broken.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stacey,
    This is Melanie Witt from Westgate. I am desperately trying to connect with you and I apologize that I am making attempts through this blog site since I have exhausted all other measures. I have an email address that I think is no longer a current one that you use. :( Without giving out personal information on this very public website, could you please refer to the Westgate directory and give me a call. I hear through the grapevine that your son will be attending college where our son is also planning on attending. Would love to get reconnected with you and talk over some things regarding that. Please give me a call. Thanks! Melanie

    ReplyDelete