Thursday, June 14, 2007

Purity, Maturity & Unity

A couple of months ago, I sat around a tree with about 30 children's leaders and listened to Rick Warren talk about how leaders need to make sure they are working on their purity, maturity and unity. The 3 key elements of growth. Personal as well as church growth. He spoke about Achan's sin in Joshua 7. Achan sinned against the Lord by keeping devoted items for himself. He hid them and the Lord spoke to Joshua and told him to rid his troops of this sin. The Lord removed His favor because of the sin problem. There wasn't purity, maturity or unity amongst the troops.

Can you imagine what God can do with a local church body who focuses on purity, maturity and unity? I recently sent out an evaluation to parents of children in our ministry and I was amazed at some of the responses. One responder said; "And when the Jr. High program ramps up and my kids are there, I will be to, only because my wife thinks it is something fun we can do as a family. I'll be one of those smiling faces saying how great and cool it is, and how much fun I'm having. But let me speak now for all those men and women out there that see this circus going on and wonder why in the world we can't get this all done in one shot on Sunday." This was an annonymous evaluation so I have no idea who answered this way, but it certainly sounds like this person is not being honest with himself or with the one true God!

I am so thankful for the incredible volunteers who are serving this family! I pray they continue to focus on "purity, maturity, and unity." I pray that their example will cause the annonymous evaluator to think about how God wants him to act.

No comments:

Post a Comment